.

.

Monday, January 18, 2016

In the beginning, there was Donk

Why donkeys? I get asked that from time to time.

Because they love us, expecting only in return to be treated fairly.

But mainly, because I was tired of having lame horses. Donkeys are supposed to be very hardy.

And why THREE donkeys?

Well, if one were to go lame, I still have two others to drive. And if two were to go lame, I still have one left to drive. And if all three were to go lame, at least they don't cost (quite) as much to care for as a horse.
What??
Enter Julia, Ellie Mae, and Clementine.

Wait, you say. I keep seeing four donkeys.

Well, yes, that would be Coyote. AKA Donkey. AKA Fat Donkey. Fat Donkey belongs to my friends were I board my equines and he is the most loving little booger. He is the one in my lap on the header picture.

Alas, when I tried teaching him to line drive, it mostly consisted of me standing behind him and pushing him around with my legs. I didn't see this working out very well.

A driving jenny. That's the ticket.

I decided to look for a jennet of my own to drive and started the search. Apparently, these are slightly more rare creatures than I had thought. After looking through Craigslist and considering some, I decided to go to a breeder who had purchased a lot of the breeding stock that Fat Donkey had come from...


2 comments:

  1. I just found my way here and I'm glad to see more of those lovely donkeys. Lame horses seem to lead some of us to donkeys, that is how I got here as well. Best silver lining yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found my way here and I'm glad to see more of those lovely donkeys. Lame horses seem to lead some of us to donkeys, that is how I got here as well. Best silver lining yet:)

    ReplyDelete