.

.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Hi ho, hi ho, off to the Hoosier Horse Park we go! Part 1

Saturday dawned early. Very early.

I slammed everything I needed for the day into Milton (my trusty red truck that is old enough to vote) and blearily drove myself to the barn. The undercurrent of excitement had not yet surged into my sleep addled brain.

Wait. Forgot grease for the carts. Turn around.

Well, now I'm awake.

I drove Milton to the base of the hill where the driveway snakes its way up to the barn, and prepared to hitch up the trailer. Yes, her name is Mabel.

A day at the park with Milton & Mabel

Doesn't everyone name their equine transportation systems?



Erin showed up about then, and we continued up to the barn, where final preparations were made, including a quick snackey-meal for all three girls that consisted mostly of an antacid to keep their little tummies happy on the journey.

Three donkeys and a couple of hay bags loaded onto Mabel, and we were on the road. A little over 90 minutes, mostly on Indiana back roads with numbers but no names, and no lines on the asphalt.

We arrived at the Horse Park, and after a brief struggle to determine where we needed to be, fell in with the carriage group that was hosting this driving derby.

After a comedic attempt to find the organizer, my three donkeys and their respective drivers were signed up for the driving derby. I had but a few minutes to get Ellie Mae harnessed and hitched and out to the derby field!

No comments:

Post a Comment